Tuesday 2 August 2016

A rather disturbing event


I just came back from college and logged into Facebook as is the regular schedule. Life has been hectic in the past month. Not that I had nothing to write about, but couldn't spare time to do so. However, this news compelled me to come back here where I pour out.
Warning: This post is going to be impromptu because A. I cannot take in more regrets for today. B. I keep on hearing these days that my posts are impulsive though I thought they were opinions deeply thought over. Anyway, I respect perceptions. Peace!
Getting back to the point, I logged into Facebook and saw so many "RIP Shahrukh" posts from my friends. I was confused. I couldn't collect my thoughts and gather a logical conclusion. I thought hard to recall all the people I met so far, but I have a lame memory when it comes to people. Suddenly, I recalled I had a batch mate with this name. I tapped on the name appearing in blue highlights and there opened a profile with a familiar face, a familiar smile that was exchanged few years ago in the school corridors. I recalled the casual greetings exchanged. I was struck with horror after hearing that he passed away the previous night. Also, I recalled one of my close friends mentioning that he had a life threatening disease. I got anxious and probed for more information from relevant people and I found out that he had been suffering from blood cancer. I hadn't ever felt more regret than this moment. I wish I would have talked to him; at least a couple of times.
I could have talked to him to may be convey better hospital and doctor options since I have had a close experience. May be getting him in touch with other cancer survivors I know. I know it would have not changed the reality, but at least got any hope or will power to him. The least I could do was to be just another friend to talk to in hard times. He went through two failed bone marrow transplants as per a friend. I couldn't be more absorbed with ruefulness at that moment.  I don't know if talking to one person in a lifetime makes a difference or not, if my presence had changed things or not, neither am I blaming myself for anything rather I feel that I don't hold an authority to even blame myself for anything related to an event as big as death, but there was a time when I had decided to touch lives of people who go through the same and this person was around me for ALL the time and I had been stupidly ignorant. I really feel awful today. May be, life is as such. We get carried away with the awful daily routine of ours and forget what could be more important. I feel that after this I'm definitely going to look around and work for the bit that I feel I'm responsible to do.
I haven't ever posted such a personal thing on the blog, but just after this happened and I told my brother about how miserable and regretful I felt, he brought in a faint ray of hope for me saying, "It was God's will. Everybody is bound to leave someday." I haven't heard of more clichéd and pathetically true lines than these, but what he said later moved me. "Time won't come back, but all you can do is learn a lesson and develop perseverance for your goals and resolutions to touch people's lives if you really want to and the universe will open its ways for you." There is no concrete reason today for me to write this article, but it just feels right to do so; as if it is the most I can do right now apart from praying for him and his family. This is the only way I can manage to pay tribute to a fighter, a friend may be- I wish I could call him so, but the Facebook wall would still blink an 'Add Friend' option.

Lately, I had been reading, "The lovely bones" by Alice Sebold. I haven't reached the end yet, but it is about a girl who was murdered by her neighbour. She describes how heaven is and how she watches everything from above, how her soul touches some people while she leaves how she watches her family and the immeasurable void that death leaves on her family. I wish he gets the heaven as beautiful and I wish that his family is blessed with the strength to bear the huge loss. Amen!

8 comments:

  1. We humans think we have time. And that is the only one thing we don't have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally find it lame, superficial and disgusting that even a demise is celebrated publicly on social media with RIP lines. For whom to see, for whom to give solace to? Probably nothing, but desperation to show how one wants to be a part of what's trending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chinmaya.. Thank you for sharing your opinion. And yes, you as a viewer may find it disgusting but it's just how some people vent out what they feel. Personally, when I read such lines I would have felt the same had I not been related to the event but this was something that moved me last night. I don't know if it is wrong but what else can a person do apart from praying and I'm sure all his friends are. :)
      We humans realize the value of people only after we lose them and all that is left is regret. Hence, as is the "trend" (as you say- I'd rather call it this generation's lifestyle) they express all the emotions on social media. It's not called "celebration". It's just about expressing condolences and emotions. I'm sure you wouldn't have felt disgusting when Mr. APJ Abdul Kalam died and people posted about it. Just because he was as we know him to be? The point is that there are posts because people have been affected. I mean no offense to you or your opinion though. You have all the space to not change it. Good luck!

      Delete
  3. Hi Saniya, I agree we have different points of views. I agree that spreading the news of demise of a celebrated person like Dr. Kalam or any renowned person doesn't affect me much because it becomes major news for the country, for mankind. And of course, social media is the biggest platform now. But my opinion arises from a personal point of view. From a view point where I've seen people write these lines for once and forget the person soon. This simply erodes the value of what one has expressed. I'm not implying this to be a general case. But that's how I feel. And what I meant by trend is that this kind of mass news spread on Facebook is more like the birthday wishes one gets.There are very few who mean it. And a hollow condolence is best never paid. But anyway, different minds, different thoughts. Peace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, what I also agree to is that a hollow condolence is best never paid.
      Thank you for taking time to read the article and posting your opinion :)
      It's appreciated!

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to more posts from you. Would like to hear stories about your experience in Bangalore.

    ReplyDelete

Remembering you...

  And if I was to think of you again, you remind me of all the gentle things in life. Like the comfort of my pink blanket, a hand to hold on...